Soil Health & Watershed Groups
Sauk Soil & Water Improvement Group
South Central Wisconsin
Contact: Justine Bula - Education Coordinator, Sauk County Land Resources and Environment Department
Phone: (608) 355-4842
Mission Statement: Improving soil health and water quality through regenerative agricultural practices and education to build resilient family farms and thriving rural communities
Vision Statement: Healthy soils, clean waters, and thriving communities supported by resilient family farms.
Goal 1: Measure and increase adoption of regenerative practices and management systems that
improve soil health and water quality.
- Objective 1.1: Conduct an annual farm practice survey and present results.
- Objective 1.2: Implement a cost-share program to fund…. the integration of livestock on cropland; harvestable buffer (>35’) around riparian areas; regenerative system implementation; no-till; testing
- Objective 1.3: Support farmer implementation of regenerative management systems by hosting peer group (social/technical) meetings where farmers can share their successes, failures, and ideas as to better overcome the learning curve associated with the adoption of new practices/management systems.
Goal 2: Increase awareness and understanding of the impact regenerative management systems have on soil health, water quality, and farm resilience
- Objective 2.1: Host an annual workshop, featuring leaders of the regenerative agriculture movement as guest presenters.
- Objective 2.2: Conduct on-farm research across 4 farms for a period of 4 years to quantify the soil health and economic impact of regenerative management systems.
- Objective 2.3: Host 6 field days annually to demonstrate the benefits of regenerative management systems.
- Objective 2.4: Partner with local FFA organizations to run youth agricultural education programs.
Goal 3: Develop the outreach and networking capacity of SSWIG
- Objective 3.1: Host one annual community meeting that serves to bring together farmers and non-farmers to find common ground.
- Objective 3.2: Create and distribute SSWIG signage and swag.
- Objective 3.3: Design and publish a SSWIG website to serve as a point of reference for anyone interested in the group.
Goal 4: Expand SSWIGs organizational capacity
- Objective 4.1: establish SSWIG as a 501c3 entity.
- Objective 4.2: hold bimonthly group meetings to organize and execute projects.
- Objective 4.3: establish administrative group roles for group members.
- Objective 4.4: establish terms for committee members and election or nomination policies.
News & Stories
Watershed or Service Area Map
Growing a Group:
- Active group 5+ years
- Book sharing
- Farmer-led group
- Formed a new group
- Grant writing
- Member-led project planning
- Neighbor to neighbor mentoring
- Personal invitations to neighbors to grow the group
- Actively participated in local watershed planning process
- Collaboration with agriculture or conservation organizations
- Collaboration with local ag retailers and/or crop advisors
- Collaboration with local civic groups
- Collaboration with local college or university
- Engage local schools
- Media interviews
- Presentation to groups
- Promotion to media outlets
- Social media cultivation
- Video Development
- Website Development
Land & Water:
- Cover crops
- Crop diversification
- Floodplain restoration
- Grass waterways
- Nutrient management & retention
- Perennial crops
- Prairie strips
- Saturated buffers
- Stream buffers
- Stream restoration
- Water retention basins
- Other - No Till
Assessment & Data:
- Agronomic data collection
- Field edge data collection
- Field walkovers
- Stream monitoring
- Fishing event
- Farm field days
- Paddle event
- Upstream or downstream connections/visits
- Booth at local event
Fishers & Famers Partnership Program Participation:
- Neighbor to Neighbor Radio Podcast
- Boots on the Ground Online Conversation
- Group Presentation
- Project Tour
- Featured in a Story
- Featured in a Video
Want to be in this directory?
Fill out and submit this form to our coordinator, who will review it and contact you to confirm details. We look forward to hearing from you!